Project Number : 1670
Country : Korea
THE OBJECT OF THE FOUNDATION
The tragedy during the Korean War has brought to
this land the most miserable human lives, the war orphans who were robbed
of their treasure in life from their start for the voyage of human course,
being driven away from their parents, family and homes by the most merciless
They might be struck to unexplicable fear and wandered
about and starved crying helplessly and then have lived their lives
in shadow and despair of life; some of them are already completely impaired
their hearts with uncurable hurts. Thus, the experience of despair
and sorrows of their early days will remain in their hearts as long
as they live on this world. Without doubt, this is the most sorrowful
tragedy and weakness of human society.
As one of the movements for the relief of these war
orphans, this orphanage was established here in the town of Hwachun.
The area of Hwachun is the place where, during the Korean War, the gallant
soldiers of the United Nations and ROK forces recaptured from the enemy
in price of the bloody fight.
THE NAMING OF THE ORPHANAGE
This orphanage was named Pung Ik Orphanage after
the distinguished merits of the late Lt. Col. Kim Pung Ik of ROK Artillery
forces. He was the first battery commander in the ROK forces. During
the Korean War, he was fighting the enemy at the head of his own unit,
but his unit received heavy loss by the enemy large attack and most
of his men were killed or wounded. However, without being discouraged,
he gave unyielding fires to the enemy with his own hands and finally
was named in honor of this great soldier to remember his gallant action
and pray for the repose of his soul.
The orphans aged from 5 to 14 are admitted in this
orphanage. They attend the school daily. The education lays main emphasis
upon the emotional and character guidance through Christian education
and also upon the cultivation of the spirit of independence and industry
to become good citizens.
This orphanage was established by Colonel Jeng Deok
Ki, then 8th ROK Division Artillery Commander who admitted
22 orphans in the tent on March 20, 1954. The opening ceremony of the
orphanage was held on May 5 of 1954.
The building and warehouse were constructed by the
8th ROK Division Artillery on October 11, 1954 and the orphanage
was transferred from 8th ROK Division Artillery to the civilian
management on January 8, 1955. New building and some bed rooms were
taken over as an AFAK Project on May 20, 1956. (Refer to: CCF-102--16-NOV-01