file # CCF-112x
: Seoul Salvation Army Boys’ Home
Project Number : 1720
The Institute initiated
a social work to accommodate 23 children with the object of protecting
from winter the children who are vagabonding around without getting
proper food and sleeping under open sky under the instruction of the
Salvation Army Commander in Korea, Joseph Flinch, with the financial
assistance of Japanese Kobayashi, Kenroku residing at 76, Pil-dong,
Seoul, Korea on December 31, 1918.
The Institute was formally
founded with an aim of keeping protection for those children even
after winter period, considering that they have no place to go upon
release by shifting the original plan to release after winter.
The Institute was moved
into the newly built building of San 18, Bookahyun-dong, Suhdaemoon-ku,
Seoul on Nov. 23, 1923 and continued functioning as one Welfare Institute
for 46 years at the place.
Upon disposing of old
and decrepit buildings, the Institute was moved into the cultural
building newly built at San 13, Sangam-dong, Suhdaemoon-ku, Seoul,
Korea, a little far off the midst of Seoul-city on May 31, 1969.
Environment and Facilities
The Institute was located
at 6 km south of Seoul and Traffic Service are available to the point
900 meter from the Institute.
Distance of 900 meter
from the Institute is undeveloped area with sporadic traffic and has
a road which is wide enough for two vehicles to intersect each other.
Personal Houses are scattered here and there sparsely and the Institute
commands a good view of growing agricultural products such as vegetables
and raddish. Therefore, this place is rather called a rural
village than an urban district.
This place is favored with the good credit as in
the rural village.
- Feel safe and calm far off the noise from the
- Bestowed with fresh air and rural scene.
- Blessed with a Hill backward the Institute,
suitable for mountaineering in the early morning.
- The Han River which flows in front of the Institute
is suitable for swimming in the summer and for skating in the winter.
The site which the Institute presently occupies
ranges over totally 5,000 pyongs with the floor space of 665 pyongs.
There are four buildings for the children which was constructed in
the same design. One building consists of 5 rooms, 1 play-game
room, 1 bath-room, 2 lavatories, and 1 boiler room. One room
is furnitured with desks and cabinets enough to accommodate 8 men.
There are a lecture hall, a restaurant, a kitchen and a recreation
room for all the people.