file # CCF-132
Home Name: Taejon Salvation Army Boys' Home
Project Number: 1820
HISTORY OF THE HOME
Four Christian missions in Korea, namely
North American Presbyterian Mission, South American Presbyterian Mission,
Methodist Mission, and Salvation Army, agreed to form a united body
in order to relieve the orphaned children from the poverty, to educate
them, to enlighten the peasants in rural areas, and to help the whole
community develop in a good way, so that the young people grown in Christian
spirit would be leader in this society in the future by giving them
proper vocational training.
But owing to the outbreak of the Korean
War, this organization could not carry out its aim for some time, but
after the recapture of the capital city of Seoul on September 28, 1950,
the representatives of the above missions, Dr. Luth, An Joo Wha, and
then the Colonel Widdosoon of Salvation Army gathered again to form
the board of directors and named this organization as Union Christian
Service Center (U. C. S. C.).
As a part of the works by this U.C.S.C.,
Salvation Army was to establish an orphanage to bring the homeless children
up in His love. Ground was broken for the construction of the Home
building, with special envoy, Johan Allan, dispatched from Salvation
Army World Headquarter Commander, attending on April 12, 1955, on the
present location of the Home at 21 Joonggri, Hoeduk-myon, Daeduk-kun,
Choonchong Namdo Province, and the construction was completed on August
12, 1956 and thus Taejon Salvation Army Boys' Home was founded. On
September 27 of the same year, opening ceremony of the Home with 44
children was held with Widdosoon, Chang Woon Yong, secretary-general
of Salvation Army and many honourable guest from U.C.S.C. attending.
The Home was affiliated with CCF on January
25, 1957, and 39 children were first sponsored by the sponsors. At
that time, there was one children's dormitory, 53 square pyongs, plus
a clothing room of 10 square pyongs and a warehouse of 28 square pyongs.
But in spite of the countless difficulties, this Home has been grown
up in many ways, and above all, the staffers of the Home have been giving
their most important attention to the children's welfare.
According to the effort made by the staffers,
and to the CCF support, the children began to find happiness and light
in their life in His love and blessings.