file # CCF-134
Home Name: Ethel Underwood Home
Project Number: 1500
In August, 1948 when
the Korean society was in the state of extreme chaos affected by political
unrest, Mrs. Ethel Underwood, wife of the late Dr. Underwood founded
this Home for the purpose of providing proper accommodation, protection
and education with Christian spirit to those poverty-stricken young
girls who came up blindly to Seoul from rural villages and those orphans
who were wandering from place to place.
In October, 1948
Mrs. Ethel Underwood purchased a site of 1,478 pyung in area located
at #136, Chungam-dong, Yongsan-ku, Seoul and built a two-story brick
building of 75 pyung in floor space on the site. At the beginning 7
young girls were accommodated and the necessary procedures for the permission
of the newly established Korean government were proceeded when Mrs.
Ethel Underwood was beaten brutally to death by a young Korean Communist
terrorist on March 17, 1949.
In April, 1949, the
Board of Directors of the Home decided to name this Home as Ethel Underwood
Girls' Home (in English) in commemoration of her dedicated philanthropical
works in Korea and Mrs. Soon Ae Lee was inaugurated as the superintendent
of the Home.
In August, 1949 the Home was authorized
officially as an incorporated foundation by the Minister of Social Affairs
of our government. At the time of the strategic retreat of the UN Forces
from the capital city, Seoul on January 4, 1951 during the Korean War,
18 inmates were successfully evacuated to Cheju island by the help of
the late Dr. Underwood.
In March, 1951 the Home was admitted
to the Christian Children's Fund (CCF) and began to receive subsidy
for living of the inmates from CCF every month.
In May, 1952 Mrs. Kyung Hwa Lee, the
then Secretary General of the Foundation in Seoul, accommodated temporarily
24 young girls in the Home of Dr. Ilhan Won, the eldest son of the late
Mrs. Ethel Underwood at 111, Kyobok-dong, Suhdaemun-ku, Seoul. During
this period 22 inmates were not get together until May 8, 1953 due to
war-destruction of the main Home building at Chogam-dong.
This Home placed under direct supervision
of CCF after the end of July, 1953 due to financial difficulty of the
Foundation was fortunate enough to rehabilitate the war-destructed Home
building in March, 1954 with the assistance of CCF, AKF and AFAK through
strenuous efforts of Mrs. Adams and other 2 missionary wives. The 42
inmates moved to the newly rehabilitated Home building on September
15, 1955 and released thereupon from the direct supervision of CCF.