Home Editorial Activities Stories Links
  Saving Lives Feature Stories Having Fun Culture Conflict    
  Kiddy Car Airlift Orphanages Adopting Children Help from Home    


Pacific Stars & Stripes, March 3, 1953

Connecticut Citizens Ship South Koreans 10 Tons Of Clothing

With the U.S. 1st Marine Air Wing, Mar. 6- A mother, a brother, a letter, and a hometown were combined by Sgt. James F. Stanley, Norwich, Conn., to garner nearly 10 tons of clothes for needy South Koreans.

It all began when Stanley visited one of the four orphanages the group supports. He noticed that some of the 400 orphans were in need of clothes. He returned to his base and wrote a letter describing the orphans to his mother.

The letter was passed to his brother, Bill, a Marine sergeant stationed at a Marine guard detachment at the New London, Conn., submarine base, and things began to happen.

BILL ASKED his mother to arrange for him to speak at a PTA meeting. At the meeting, he read his brother's letter. The Norwich daily newspaper printed the speech and the letter the following day.

The PTA was fast to act. It immediately began a drive and appointed Stanley's mother as honorary chairman. The chamber of commerce held an open meeting at which representatives of the Marine Corps, Boy Scouts, American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Girl Scouts, and the Army offered the services of their organizations to make the drive a success.

Despite a wet snow and darkened skies, trucks manned by Marines from the submarine base and soldiers from Battery A, 745th Gun battalion, drove through Norwich and the adjoining towns of Taftville, Occum, and Yantic. Citizens who had heard of the drive by way of radio, newspapers, and word of mouth were ready.

Some trucks made as many as three visits to the same area because of the large number of items donated. When a truck was loaded it would drive to the state armory to unload and go back for more. While the trucks were cruising through the city's streets some 200 volunteers sorted the clothing that had already been collected.

After it was sorted, it was taken to the New London submarine base to await shipment to Marine Air Group 12.




Home  |  Editorial  |  Activities  |  Stories  |  Links